YOU ARE HERE.

Thanks for stopping by. If this is your first time you're here, you'll notice that this blog is about a 40-day experiment that I did. The problem is, the posts start at Day 40, and this blog site won't let me reverse the order of the posts. So, if you're interested, go ahead and start at the beginning, in the July posts. It will make a lot more sense. I promise.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Day 14: Excuse Me?!

There's this part in "In & Out", a silly comedy about a man who never considered himself gay, inadvertently coming out of the closet at a very inopportune time. On his wedding day. About two-thirds into the movie, the rejected bride, Joan Cusak (brilliant), is sitting on a stool in a bar, in her enormous but tattered wedding dress and veil, totally a wreck, make up smeared from crying, nursing a fat beer, utterly despondent. In walks a reporter, Tom Selleck, who has been reporting the story and exacerbating the situation. He sits down next to the bride, oblivious to her, and says, "Man, have I had a rough day." The look that she gives him is so priceless, so incredulous and then she shouts at the top of her cracking, exasperated voice, "EEEEXCUUUUUUSE ME?!"

This is how I felt when my daughter told me she didn't want to eat a sandwich yesterday.
"But you like sandwiches, right?"
"Yes."
"Then why don't you want one."
"I just don't feel like it."
"EEEEXCUUUUUUSE ME?!"

Yeah! Ugh! Take that! (I have every right to be indignant... right?)

And yet, if I said to a Zambian that I was sick of my delicious, nutritious, ample supply of five foods, he should have a similar response. His one bowl of nshima a day, or a Haitian's 4oz of rice per day, has my Pick Five beat in the depravity department by a mile.

Perspective. I'm learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment