YOU ARE HERE.

Thanks for stopping by. If this is your first time you're here, you'll notice that this blog is about a 40-day experiment that I did. The problem is, the posts start at Day 40, and this blog site won't let me reverse the order of the posts. So, if you're interested, go ahead and start at the beginning, in the July posts. It will make a lot more sense. I promise.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Days 1&2: Big Change?


So, yesterday I woke up full of expectation. Here I go. A quick stretch, a few pushups (ha). I pulled up my kitchen stool and sat down to an apple and a handful of almonds, followed by a tall glass of water. Maybe something Adam and Eve would've had for breakfast. I said a prayer. I sang a song of praise. If you can use anything Lord, you can use me.

And then I had one of the busiest, craziest, most chaotic days in my recent history. Headless chicken comes to mind. I never stopped going, went to no less than nine destinations in the minivan, from Round Rock to the furthest south Austin, and dragged my three poor children along. Bedtime came too late. I wish I could say that at the end of the day, I knelt down next to my bed and reiterated my morning's thoughts to the Lord. But I fell asleep before I could even turn off my bedside lamp.

What did I think would happen? Did I think I would wake up a la Tom Hanks in Big, a totally changed person overnight? I guess I hoped that I would. I naively thought that Day 1 of my Pick Five calendar would be the tangible beginning of this remarkable experience. But God eats our expectations for breakfast. Life is a process. Desired change has to be earned. And works of the Lord happen in His time, not ours.

So what? My first day of Pick Five was spiritually unremarkable.

Then I woke up this morning, full of expectation. I pulled up my kitchen stool and sat down to an apple and a handful of almonds, followed by a tall glass of water. If you can use anything Lord, you can use me...

2 comments:

  1. Unremarkable... So what? There are so many metaphors in God's Word about nature, agriculture, a mustard seed.

    Seeds require a few days to germinate. Those first days also look unremarkable, but they provide for the root that gives nourishment to the plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy. You're right -- seeds start with a plunge in the dirt and a dousing of water, seemingly dormant as the green roots begin to grow.

    These first days, although they appear uneventful and unremarkable, are not unimportant. Thanks for the mustard seed reminder. I dig it. (hee hee. "dig" it.)

    ReplyDelete