YOU ARE HERE.

Thanks for stopping by. If this is your first time you're here, you'll notice that this blog is about a 40-day experiment that I did. The problem is, the posts start at Day 40, and this blog site won't let me reverse the order of the posts. So, if you're interested, go ahead and start at the beginning, in the July posts. It will make a lot more sense. I promise.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Day 10: Free Rice

Want to donate 66 billion grains of rice to people all over the world? Sure you do. Know what it'll cost you? Nothing. I don't know who thought this up, but it's an amazingly easy way to give. Ready for this? FreeRice.com. Here's what it entails:

You play a vocabulary game, and free rice gets delivered around the world.

That's it. This is especially cool to a "wordie" like me (I think I just made up a word) who, if allowed to have two books on an island, would choose the Bible and the American Heritage Dictionary.

There's corporate sponsors who fund the rice, and it's delivered to areas in need through the World Food Programme. I can't believe this is a real thing. It's so easy, it promotes higher literacy, and it is feeding millions of hungry people. You can't go wrong there. There's even a video that shows the WFP delivering the Free Rice.

Only play it once. You can't. (Or at least I can't.) I've got it on my bookmarks, and I try to play it every time I see it and have a few minutes. My high score is level 50. (Worry not if you are more of a Wheel of Fortune than a Jeopardy, they donate rice for your correct answers, but don't penalize you in rice for your wrong answers. Whew.)

As I'm eating this big bowl of rice in front of me, I am thankful for each grain. Think how much more thankful the Free Rice recipients must be.

2 comments:

  1. And... if you don't like vocabulary, you can change subjects! Art, languages (beef up on the espanol) history, math -- the link's in the top bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I didn't even know you could do that!!! I just got to level 10/10 in Spanish! That's great! Thanks, Amy!

    ReplyDelete