YOU ARE HERE.

Thanks for stopping by. If this is your first time you're here, you'll notice that this blog is about a 40-day experiment that I did. The problem is, the posts start at Day 40, and this blog site won't let me reverse the order of the posts. So, if you're interested, go ahead and start at the beginning, in the July posts. It will make a lot more sense. I promise.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Day 19: Don't Worry, Eat Gravy

Add another craving to my list.
------------------------------>


I was thinking about the verse I've got as my header. "Do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?'" from Matthew 6. The chapter ends so beautifully, and has a great verse for what I was going through yesterday.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

I changed my mind. It's actually not a very positive verse. It doesn't say that everything will get taken care of. It just says not to worry about tomorrow today. Worry about today today and worry about tomorrow tomorrow. And every day is full of trouble. I never really looked at it like that, like an aunt or grandmother who gives compliments like, "Well, at least you're not ugly."

But I understand the concept. Worrying for things that haven't happened yet, not so productive. I can't worry about day 41. I can't even worry about day 20. Each day is filled with ups and downs, highs and lows and enough trouble of its own.

Today's trouble was over gravy. Don't make gravy unless you are able to taste it 100 times yourself. Relying on your spouse's palate to taste and make suggestions about the gravy is not good for a marriage. But, finally, after one teeeeeeeeensy weeeeeeeeeensie taste, I realized that the gravy was fine, and I wasn't going to add anything or tamper with it for another second. So sue me. I tasted two droplets of gravy. It saved me from throwing down the whisk and walking out of the kitchen. And everyone was the happier for it.

And verse 32 of Matthew 6 says about the things over which we get anxious, "your Heavenly Father knows that you need them." That alone is comforting. He uses the word 'father'. And in Luke chapter 11, Jesus says, "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead?... If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

Therein lies the answer. We worry. We ask God for the things that He already knows we need. Then he breathes his "Breath of Holiness" aka "Holy Spirit" down upon us. Thank you, God. And we are satisfied. Aaah. Until tomorrow when, apparently, new troubles are already awaiting us.

1 comment:

  1. Ani ohevet Abba!!! (I love you, "Daddy!")

    ReplyDelete