YOU ARE HERE.

Thanks for stopping by. If this is your first time you're here, you'll notice that this blog is about a 40-day experiment that I did. The problem is, the posts start at Day 40, and this blog site won't let me reverse the order of the posts. So, if you're interested, go ahead and start at the beginning, in the July posts. It will make a lot more sense. I promise.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Days 22&23: The Edamame Saga

Something has changed -- physically, chemically, biologically -- with the way my taste receptor cells are receiving edamame. Dare I say it?

I like edamame again.

I know that my thoughts on Pick Five, and my emotional highs and lows have been fickle, fluctuating. (To say the least. If you charted my emotions on paper, you'd need a seismograph.) Life is full of these ups and downs, but in real life, I usually tend to downplay the mercurial extremes so as to appear more sane. I obviously have not done that here, so don't go calling the state hospital on me.

But for the last few days, I have really enjoyed edamame. It tastes buttery and rich, and the texture is actually quite pleasing when combined with the nutty, al dente brown rice. I can't explain it, other than to give God the glory for granting me this small mercy.

It's as if all the foods have taken on a heightened taste. The almonds have been extremely fragrant. The apples, sweeter. The spinach, creamy and savory. The rice, more filling. The water, more satisfying. What kind of world is this?!

I realize now that what God has given me for these 40 days is enough. These five simple foods that he created with his hand are pleasing to my body. My response can be none other than thanks.

Thank you, Lord. Thank you for rice. Thank you for edamame. Thank you for spinach. Thank you for apples. Thank you for almonds. Thank you for salt. Thank you for water.

Dayenu. It would have been enough.


Romans 12: 1-2 "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your reasonable act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind."

3 comments:

  1. That is wonderful news! You are doing such a fantastic job and I know you are going to make it to the end - - in fact, knowing you, I wouldn't be surprised if you decided to make it 60 days! I am very proud of your dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might do sixty -- if I could have coffee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is good. Makes you wonder what else we get sick of, and abandon at first sign of displeasure. If we hold onto what is good and God instead of aiming at self-pleasure- what would the end result be? ...more peace, less selfishness perhaps. It helps explain why it is harder for a rich man to get into heaven- God knows I've had to rely on Him to get me through things that my bank account scoffed at.

    ReplyDelete