YOU ARE HERE.

Thanks for stopping by. If this is your first time you're here, you'll notice that this blog is about a 40-day experiment that I did. The problem is, the posts start at Day 40, and this blog site won't let me reverse the order of the posts. So, if you're interested, go ahead and start at the beginning, in the July posts. It will make a lot more sense. I promise.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 24: The Power Nap


Don't underestimate the power of good sleep.

I, too, used to use coffee as liquid sleep replacement.

But now that I don't have that option, even with a good night's sleep, I am forced into one of two circumstances. Either I take a nap in the middle of the day and have the energy to make it through until bedtime, or I fall asleep at 8:30pm on the couch while reading with my seven year old.

I did not take a nap today.

And I have been asleep on the couch for the last hour.

And I'm going to go back to sleep when I'm through typing.

This new process has taught me that my body has actual, natural need to cease and recover. This is a hard reality to accept. I'm of the five-a-day breed (cups of coffee). I don't like to stop. Ever. There's too much to do. But, I have come to terms with this new rhythm. I have embraced it. I have learned to utilize my awake time better, and not store everything on my to-do list until the kids are asleep. Because, well, the list won't get done if I'm crashed on the couch.

It came to a head the other night when I was forced to bed by fatigue and had to leave a note for my husband, who comes home at 4:45am from his night beat. It read:

"About the house: I can do better. I promise."

Learning this natural rhythm is important to me as a person. It means that instead of letting my body break down so that I can be "productive", I must learn to be efficient with the time that I am given, and allow my body to take care of itself. Previously ignored by the next cup of coffee. Now more important. That's good. I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment