YOU ARE HERE.

Thanks for stopping by. If this is your first time you're here, you'll notice that this blog is about a 40-day experiment that I did. The problem is, the posts start at Day 40, and this blog site won't let me reverse the order of the posts. So, if you're interested, go ahead and start at the beginning, in the July posts. It will make a lot more sense. I promise.

Monday, July 13, 2009

Preparing for Pick Five

So, here's where it starts:

I was watching Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) for the 10,000th time last week and watched Charlie bring home a loaf of bread to feed his family. They called it a banquet. I don't know why this scene waited until this most recent viewing to punch me in the gut.

Then, my teenage cousins just came back from Africa. One of the many reality-checks they were faced with was the simplicity of the Zambian diet. Basically, nshima, a corn/water porridge. And most of the kiddos that my cousins encountered were lucky to get two small bowls a day. Most lived off one.

And then, there's me. Yesterday I ate:
Breakfast: Coffee with cream, two large bowls of Oh!s cereal with milk.
Lunch: Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, applesauce, pretzels, leftover beans & rice.
While making dessert for a barbecue I ate the equivalent of 3 pieces of cake.
Dinner: Three different kinds of chips, baked beans, broccoli salad, sausage, a hamburger with all the toppings, one and a half pieces of carrot cake, one piece of chocolate cake.
Before bed: One more piece of carrot cake.
Conservatively, 4300 calories. And roughly 17 different foods.

I am sick just thinking about it. But instead of shoving another piece of cake down my throat to deal with my anxiety, I have made a decision. For 40 days, beginning August 1st, I'm going to limit my diet to five things. I get to pick the five, but only five. For 40 days.

More on this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment